Episode Director - Adult
- Los Angeles, California, United States
With over 183 million subscribers enjoying great content in over 190 countries, it’s an exciting time to work at Netflix.
By serving as a platform for original storytelling, we’re fueled by the broad appeal of being able to instantly enjoy unlimited movies and TV shows and seek to create joy for our members around the world. This guiding principle has informed our commitment to animation, a universal language, and the establishment of Netflix Animation Studios where creative visionaries can perform their best work.
This is the new wave of animation — and you can help shape it. Our goal is to tell stories that no one has seen but that everyone will remember.
We are seeking Episode Directors for an ambitious, multimedia Adult Animated series based in Hollywood, CA. Our Episode Directors will work closely with the Art and Story Teams to oversee the creation of storyboards, animatics, and other deliverables according to the Showrunner’s vision. We are seeking communicative, resourceful leaders with creative ideas and technical skills in storytelling, posing, and dynamic drawing to bring our projects to life. We’re looking for our Episode Directors to start between January 2021 to March of 2021.
What You'll Do:
- Oversee and lead storyboard artist team; handing out scenes of the script, providing direction/notes, troubleshooting, and generating thumbs/boards as needed.
- Direct each episode as efficiently and economically as possible in accordance with the showrunners’s vision and show parameters; offer creative solutions when needed.
- Serve as the main point of contact for the storyboard team.
- Review character and background pre-designs to ensure board artists have what they need to get started, and communicate any necessary changes with the Art Team.
- Work closely with production management and creative partners to deliver episodes reliably and within the production time allotted; identify and suggest efficiencies.
- Use knowledge of 2D and CG animation to ensure that posing, staging, and cutting is both dynamic and producible.
- Respectfully interact with multiple departments of the production as needed - writing, design, production management, editorial, etc.
- Prep for and actively participate in storyboard pitches, offering guidance with notes and mentoring board teams to create their best work.
- Collaborate with editorial teams to see storyboards through animatic phases.
- Adhere to the production schedule as laid out by the Production Leadership; meet deadlines from concept to final deliverables.
- Accountable for meeting deadlines from board launch to vendor shipment deliverables.
- Collaborate with grace, humility, inclusion, and open-mindedness.
What You'll Need:
- 4+ years of story production experience on feature films, shorts, or series.
- Proven leadership experience in a story production capacity; prior directing experience in 2D or CG animated series preferred.
- Reliable skill in storyboarding camera composition, and animating timing required.
- Working knowledge of 2D and/or CG Animation a must, with a thorough understanding of animation techniques, terminology, and the production pipeline from pre-production through post-production.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills coupled with animation to detail is a must.
- Proficiency with storyboard tools such as Storyboard Pro, Photoshop, or other digital storyboard software.
- Storyboarding and/or directing samples with credits demonstrating excellence and inspiration in clarity, comedy, acting/performance, and cinematic storytelling.
- Outstanding people skills; ability to guide and inspire a unique group of creative artists.
- Openness to collaborate with all levels of production crew, artistic staff, and management.
- Ability to establish priorities and multi-task effectively within the given production schedule, and to adapt to changes easily within a highly dynamic environment.
- Familiarity with Shotgun, Adobe Premiere, Blender and VR tools is a plus.
- Excellent verbal, written, and e-social communication skills.