- Los Angeles, California, United States
With over 183 million subscribers enjoying great content in over 190 countries, it’s an exciting time to work at Netflix.
By serving as a platform for original storytelling, we’re fueled by the broad appeal of being able to instantly enjoy unlimited movies and TV shows and seek to create joy for our members around the world. This guiding principle has informed our commitment to animation, a universal language, and the establishment of Netflix Animation Studios where creative visionaries can perform their best work.
This is the new wave of animation — and you can help shape it. Our goal is to tell stories that no one has seen but that everyone will remember.
We are seeking Background Painters to add color and mood to the worlds of our 2D and/or CG animated series, features, and exciting projects in-between. The Background Painter will further the storytelling through thoughtful color, design, and sense of lighting techniques according to the Art Director or Creators’ vision. We are seeking artists with both unique and technical styling and skills that will bring our projects to life.
What You'll Do:
- Align with the style and sensibility of the show
- Translate reference into 2D art in regards to look, color, and mood
- Under the guidance of the Art Director, apply color, textures, and details to approved background designs
- Work closely with other background painters on the team to create and maintain consistency in regards to the color and design of each episode
- Attend design kick off meetings and reviews
- Work flexibly and with a positive attitude to troubleshoot and address notes
- Adhere to the production schedule and deliver completed assignments on time
- Provide an open dialogue with production management on any potential roadblocks or concerns in delivering assignments on time
- Collaborate with grace, humility, inclusion, and open mindedness
What You'll Need:
- 2 years production experience in background paint on a animated series, shorts, or films OR a portfolio that demonstrates a strong understanding of paint skills required for animated production settings
- Advanced working knowledge of drawing and painting software including Photoshop, Illustrator, Harmony and/or 3D technology where applicable
- Broad knowledge of artistic styles and latest technology is essential
- Experience in creating detailed style guides pertaining to color palette
- Comfortable working with internal and external departments
- Samples and/or credits demonstrating excellence in background paint
- Excellent verbal, written, and e-social communication skills
- Able to work independently in a fast paced environment